For PARENTS & CHILDREN
We believe God put the energy in young children, so don't worry! All are welcome! Here are a few tips:
- Sit close to the front where it is easier for little ones to see and hear what is going on. They tire of looking at the back of people’s heads.
- Quietly explain the parts of the service and the actions of the worship leaders. Sing the hymns, pray and voice any responses. Children learn worship behavior by copying you.
- If you need to leave the service with your child, feel free to do so, but please come back! Jesus said, “Let the children come to me!”
- Please feel comfortable using our Parent Corner at the rear of the sanctuary. You will find a basket of soft toys, pillows and books to help entertain your child if they do not yet feel ready to separate and be left in the Nursery. Ushers can show you where to find the Nursery.
- Feel free to contact our Director for Children & Youth, Di Pagel, with any questions.
What to Expect in Worship
Our worship services are designed to help worshipers of all ages to enter into the mystery and hope found in God's amazing love. We connect as a community as we share joys and concerns in prayer time, as we sing together from classic hymns, contemporary songs and world music. We are blessed with traditional organ and choir music and sermons that focus on offering tangible ways to live out the teachings found in scripture. We share communion on the first Sunday of every month when tje children remain in the sanctuary and we worship together as families.
Our services are very inclusive. People of many different faith traditions call First Church their home. Our sanctuary is a safe space for LGBTQ people as we welcome all people to share their gifts in worship and in acts of service.
After worship, we go together to coffee hour in the Reception Room. This is a good opportunity to meet friends, chat with the pastor, and enjoy being part of our community.
Our adult choir participates in the 10AM worship service from September to early June. We rehearse the first Saturday of every month from 11AM to 1PM and on Sunday mornings at 8:45AM. Our choir sings a variety of musical styles, from classical to African-American spirituals and ethnic songs. All singers are welcome and no prior experience is necessary! Email us if you have questions or would like to know more about rehearsals.