For PARENTS & CHILDREN
We believe God put the energy in young children, so don't worry! All are welcome! Here are a few tips:
- Sit close to the front where it is easier for little ones to see and hear what is going on. They tire of looking at the back of people’s heads.
- Quietly explain the parts of the service and the actions of the worship leaders. Sing the hymns, pray and voice any responses. Children learn worship behavior by copying you.
- If you need to leave the service with your child, feel free to do so, but please come back! Jesus said, “Let the children come to me!”
- Please feel comfortable using our Parent Corner at the rear of the sanctuary. You will find a basket of soft toys, pillows and books to help entertain your child if they do not yet feel ready to separate and be left in the Nursery. Ushers can show you where to find the Nursery.
- Feel free to contact our Director for Children & Youth, Di Pagel, with any questions.
What to Expect in Worship
Our 10 AM Sunday service is designed so worshipers of all ages may enter into the mystery and hope found in God's love. We read and make meaning with scripture, share joys and concerns, and sing together from classic hymns, contemporary songs and world music.
On the first Sunday of the month, we celebrate communion with children and youth remaining in the sanctuary. All other Sundays, we offer Godly Play, which is a unique worship and learning experience for children ages 3-10. Excellent nursery care is offered for infants and toddlers and there is an area in the back of the sanctuary with soft toys and books for those families that wish to remain together.
Our services are inclusive. People of many different faith traditions call First Church their home. Our sanctuary is a safe space for LGBTQ people as we welcome all people to share their gifts in worship and in acts of service. As a More Light Presbyterian
congregation, we are committed to the full inclusion and welcome of all God's people into worship, ministry, and service.
After worship, there is a time of fellowship in the Reception Room, which is a good opportunity to welcome visitors, meet friends, chat with the pastor, and enjoy being part of our community.
First Church choir
The Choir sings a variety of musical styles, from Renaissance polyphony and classical anthems to African-American spirituals and ethnic songs. All singers are welcome and no prior experience is necessary! Directed by Daniel Strychacz, the choir participates in the 10 AM worship service several weeks each month. The choir rehearses on Sunday from 12-1PM. On Sundays when the choir sings in worship, we also meet from 9-9:30AM to prepare that morning's offering. Email us if you have questions or would like to know more about rehearsals.