For PARENTS & CHILDREN
The Holy Spirit is active in young children, so don't worry; their energy is welcome in our services! Here are a few tips:
- Sit close to the front where it is easier for children to see and hear what is going on. They tire of looking at the back of people’s heads.
- Quietly explain the parts of the service and the actions of the worship leaders. Sing the hymns, pray and voice any responses. Children learn worship behavior by copying you.
- If you need to leave the service with your child, feel free to do so, but please come back! Jesus said, “Let the children come to me!”
- Feel comfortable using our Parent Corner at the rear of the sanctuary. You will find a basket of soft toys, pillows and books to help entertain your child if they do not yet feel ready to separate and be left in the Nursery. Ushers can show you where to find the Nursery.
- Feel free to contact our Director for Children & Youth, Di Pagel, with any questions.
What to Expect in Worship
10 AM Sunday service is designed so worshipers of all ages may enter into the mystery and hope found in God's love. We read and make meaning with scripture, share joys and concerns, and sing together from classic hymns, contemporary songs and world music.
On the first Sunday of every month, communion is celebrated with children and youth remaining in the sanctuary for the entire service. All other Sundays, we offer Godly Play, which is a unique worship and learning experience for children ages 4-10. Excellent nursery care is offered for infants and toddlers and there is an area in the back of the sanctuary with soft toys for those families wishing to remain together.
People of many different faith backgrounds call First Church their home. Our sanctuary is a safe space for LGBTQ people as we welcome all people to share their gifts in worship and in acts of service. As a More Light Presbyterian congregation, we are committed to full inclusion and welcome all God's people into worship, ministry, and service.
After worship, there is a time of fellowship in the Reception Room, which is a good opportunity to welcome visitors, meet friends and enjoy being part of the community.
First Church choir
The Choir sings a variety of musical styles, from Renaissance polyphony and classical anthems to African-American spirituals and ethnic songs. All singers are welcome and no prior experience is necessary! The choir participates in the 10 AM worship service several Sundays each month. On Sundays when the choir sings in worship, the choir meets from 9-9:30 AM to prepare that morning's offering.