Our personal and communal growth begins with intention: honestly engaging our questions and drinking deeply from the wisdom of our traditions. By coming together to wonder, renew our minds and hearts, and share our insights, we grow into both a living and lived faith.
- To invite each other to look inward at our core beliefs and values
- To encourage and energize each other to focus outward on our local and global ministries
- To sustain each other along our faith journeys, drawing strength from both our common beliefs and our richly diverse stories
- To strive toward a genuinely intergenerational congregational culture, in which children and youth are not only welcome but full participants.
Adult Forums and Bible Study Classes
On most Sundays after worship and Thursday mornings at 10:30AM, there are opportunities to learn. Our studies vary over the course of a year and include traditional, in depth Bible studies; intensives focusing on a theological document or confession; and relevant topical studies. Guest speakers from the community share their work and help move us from learning to service. Here are a few samples from recent studies:
- The Political Strategies of Jesus: A Study based on the work of Dr. Obery Hendricks.
- Getting Started with the Acts of the Apostles: a traditional Bible study.
- Reading the Bible from the Underside
- At One with the Atonement: Looking at the theories through the ages.
godly play for adults
Our new series has begun! Join us on Wednesdays at 7:15 PM.
October 5: Exile and Return from Babylon
October 12: Faces of the Journey
October 19: Travels of Paul
October 26: The Trinity Synthesis
At First Church, we introduced the concept of Godly Play for Adults, with seven series of classes over the past three years. Each series is offered for six consecutive weeks on a Wednesday evening at 7:15 p.m. Each worshipful session participants engage their hearts with music, singing, story, and prayer. Di Pagel serves as our Storyteller and the time includes thoughtful musical selections. Click here to see a sample schedule.
Godly Play was developed by Rev. Jerome Berryman over forty years ago. The approach is based on oral narrative which appeals to all ages and stages of faith development. Across many denominations in the U.S. and around the world, Godly Play has strongly influenced the ways we teach children. Adults who are involved in Godly Play have discovered that it becomes a spiritual practice for them as they prepare the biblical stories for circles of children.
Our monthly Women's Circle provides opportunity for women of all ages to meet on the spiritual journey. We gather the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. for an hour and a half. Together we practice “lectio divina" which is the spiritual practice of reverential listening for God’s voice through the text of scripture. Lectio differs from bible study as it cultivates listening deeply “with the ear of the heart not the ear of the intellect.” During the time together we also have an opportunity to share personal joys and concerns and close with time for both silence and prayer.
For more information about Godly Play for Adults or Women's Circle, Contact Di Pagel