Hope for Such a time as this...
Though many of us are still reeling from the results of the national election last week, Sunday's liturgy (November 13) was a blessing. We sang “This is my Song” and listened to a thoughtful guitar solo by our Music Ministry Director, Daniel Strychacz, and two organ transcriptions offered by Artist in Residence, Jonathan Dimmock: Barber’s Adagio for Strings and Copeland’s Fanfare for the Common Man.
Pastor Debra’s sermon both comforted us and challenged, reminding us that we follow a Messiah who refused to take up the mantle of power and violence and instead broke the laws of his day to stand with the most oppressed.
We pray for our nation and for all oppressed people who live here and are committed to following Christ in all things.
First Presbyterian Church of Oakland is intercultural, intergenerational and radically inclusive, providing a welcome for LGBTQ people, and striving to demonstrate life as the Beloved Community in our multicultural congregation.
Drawn together by the Holy Spirit,
we are Christ's partners in reconciliation,
sharing the good news of God's welcoming love.
JOIN US on Sunday
- Worship is at 10:00 a.m. followed by Fellowship Time. Family Worship with Communion takes place on First Sundays.
- Godly Play is a unique worship and learning experience for children ages 3-10. Children leave the sanctuary at about 10:30 a.m.
- Youth Connection happens on most Sundays at 11:30 a.m. Youth from ages 11-18 explore faith in their own way.
- Adult Forums at 11:30 a.m. provide opportunities for spiritual growth.
- Working on Worship is offered at 11:30 a.m. and helps children grow as worship leaders.